Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ)
The Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund is committed to increasing diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in its grant programs, projects and associated community engagement efforts.
This page provides key definitions and resources for assessing and understanding communities impacted in order to enhance the ability of our applicants and grantees to meet these objectives.
Community–based organization: an organization that is driven by community residents in all aspects of its existence in which:
- The majority of the governing body and staff consists of local residents,
- The main operating offices are in the community,
- Priority issue areas are identified and defined by residents,
- Solutions to address priority issues are developed with residents, and
- Program design, implementation and evaluation components have residents intimately involved, in leadership positions
Diversity is the differences of people found in our program, our grantees and partners, and in the communities in which we fund.
Equity is the promotion of justice, impartiality and fairness within the procedures, processes, and distribution of CBSF resources.
Inclusion refers to the degree to which groups or individuals having different backgrounds are culturally and socially accepted, welcomed and equally treated.
Justice is a practice that makes communities more diverse, equitable and just, including the dismantling of barriers to resources and opportunities so all individuals and communities can participate fully and thrive.
Underprivileged refers to a group having less money, education, resources, and so forth than the other people in a society and may refer to individuals or subgroups in any racial or ethnic group.
Underrepresented subsets of a population hold a smaller percentage within a significant subgroup than it holds in the general population.
Under-resourced frames resource inequities such as leadership, physical assets, money, power, political will, institutions, community cohesion and services.
* Definitions adapted from the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay’s DEIJ Terminology Guide
- Chesapeake Bay Program Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice Strategy Implementation Plan - a roadmap for advancing the recommendations found in Restoration from the Inside Out: A Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice Strategy for the Chesapeake Bay Program (DEIJ Strategy)
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice (DEIJ) Terminology Communications Guide developed by the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
- DEIJ in Action: A Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Guide for the Chesapeake Bay Watershed developed by Skeo and sponsored by the Chesapeake Bay Trust, Chesapeake Bay Funders Network, and the Choose Clean Water Coalition