Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund
The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund is dedicated to protecting the Bay by helping local communities clean up and restore their polluted rivers and streams.
Working in partnership with government agencies and private corporations, the Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund awards $8 million to $12 million per year through two competitive grant programs - the Innovative Nutrient and Sediment Reduction Grant Program and the Small Watershed Grants Program. These programs benefit the communities, farms, habitats and wildlife of the Chesapeake Bay region. The Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund also makes targeted investments that support networking and information-sharing among restoration partners on emerging technologies, successful restoration approaches, and new partnership opportunities.
From 1999 to 2019, the Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund awarded more than 1,200 grants totaling nearly $158 million. These investments leveraged more than $238 million in local matching resources to support a wide range of conservation projects throughout the Bay basin. In total, these grants have:
- Reduced annual nitrogen pollution loading by an estimated 22 million pounds
- Reduced annual phosphorus loading by an estimated 4.5 million pounds
- Reduced annual sediment loading by an estimated 892 million pounds
- Restored more than 2,150 miles of streams
- Treated stormwater runoff from 11,500 acres of impervious surfaces
- Reached an estimated 2.49 million residents through outreach efforts
- Restored more than 7,317 acres of wetlands and 2,076 miles of forested riparian buffers
- Installed more than 1,878 miles of livestock exclusion stream fencing
- Reconnected more than 279 miles of rivers and streams for fish passage
- Established 318 acres of oyster reefs
The Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund is a partnership with the Federal-State Chesapeake Bay Program.
|INSR Pre-Proposal Deadline|
|INSR Full Proposal Deadline|
|INSR FieldDoc Webinar|
|01/22/2020||Program Fact Sheet||Download the PDF|
|12/03/2019||Chesapeake Bay Business Plan||Download the PDF|
|12/03/2019||Chesapeake Bay 2019 Grant Slate||Download the PDF|
|12/03/2019||Chesapeake Bay 2018 Program Report||Download the PDF|
|12/03/2019||Chesapeake Bay 2017 Program Report||Download the PDF|
|12/03/2019||Chesapeake Bay 2016 Program Report||Download the PDF|